Environmental Management System
The most significant change to ISO 14001:2015 from ISO 14001:2004 is the move to an annex SL structure. This structure is based on ten sections. The current version, ISO 14001:2015, focuses more on harmonization with other ISO standards than introduction of significant changes to the requirements. The annex SL structure is the basis of the harmonization, as all ISO management system standards will move towards the same 10 sections and will share approximately 30% of the same requirements. Organizations using multiple management systems (e.g. Quality and Environmental) will benefit, as integration of these systems is far less complicated. In addition, organizations that integrate two or more systems will enjoy a cost reduction up to 20%, depending on the degree of integration.
Achieving Your Environmental and Economic Goals
ISO 14001 is an international standard for Environmental Management Systems (EMS). It is intended to provide your organization with the elements of an effective environmental management system which can be integrated with other management system requirements.
ISO 14001:2015 has ten sections. Three sections are general information for your company about the standard and are not auditable. Certification focuses on the seven key auditable sections:
- Context of the Organization
- Performance Evaluation
Benefits of an Effective Environmental Management System
When your company has implemented an effective EMS you can:
- Assure customers of your commitment to demonstrate environmental management
- Maintain good public/community relations
- Obtain insurance at reasonable cost
- Enhance your image and market share
- Meet vendor certification criteria
- Improve your company’s cost control
- Reduce incidents that result in liability;demonstrate reasonable care
- Conserve input materials and energy
- Facilitate your attainment of necessary permits and authorizations
- Foster the development and sharing of environmental solutions
- Improve your company’s relationships with local, state and the federal government
SRI Environmental Management Systems Registrar
SRI is one of the leading North American Quality Management Systems (QMS) and Environmental Management Systems (EMS) Registrars for the materials, manufacturing, distribution and service industries.
When you choose SRI for your EMS registration services you also receive a number of value-added attributes. SRI provides:
- EMS professionals with extensive industrial environmental experience as auditors
- EMS Lead Auditors that are also trained and qualified as Quality Management System auditors, which supports SRI’s ability to provide cost-effective, integrated QMS/EMS auditing
- A variety of approaches to registration, including continuous surveillances at six month intervals, or annual maintenance visits
- Opportunities For Improvement (OFIs) which represent value-added observations made by our auditors
Training courses relative to ISO 14001:2015 application and certification are available from iQ Training. Visit www.iq.training for more information.