What is Cradle to Cradle Product Certification?
Cradle to Cradle Certified™ is a globally recognized framework for safer and more sustainable products made for the circular economy. This pathway, designed to be evolutionary, focuses on designing and creating products and materials that have a positive impact on people and the environment.
With thousands of products certified, from clothing to furniture, flooring to laundry supplies, this certification can be applied to products and materials across sectors and industries. It is increasingly becoming the preferred product standard for responsible purchasing decisions of brands, organizations, and standards globally.
In process to be approved by the Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute, SRI Quality System Registrar will soon be a qualified Cradle to Cradle Certified Assessment Body.
There are a number of reasons to invest in Cradle to Cradle certification.
Because this multi-dimensional certification is a framework that helps ensure a safe, quality, and sustainable product or material is produced, you may find certification aligns with your sustainability strategy and helps you achieve your sustainability goals by contributing to the circular economy and creating a positive impact on people and the environment.
The market for Cradle to Cradle certified products is vast. They are recognized by a number of programs and initiatives. Entities including Amazon, Walmart, Home Depot, the US EPA, and Google have programs that recognize, encourage, and prioritize the use of Cradle to Cradle Certified products and materials. Additionally, Cradle to Cradle Product certification is a helpful component of other certifications such as LEED, BREEAM, WELL, and Living Building Challenge. You can read more on that here.
As more industries, sectors, and their stakeholders begin to demand more transparency and responsible business operations, your customers will begin to ask for certifications such as Cradle to Cradle and you will see a growing number of competitors become certified. Stay ahead in your market, and be a leader and advocate for safer, more sustainable products made for the circular economy by getting your product or material Cradle to Cradle certified.
How do you achieve certification?
- Determine if your product is right for certification based on the edibility criteria found on the Cradle to Cradle Products Innovation Institute’s website.
- Select an Accredited Assessment Body, such as SRI, for the testing, analysis, and evaluation of your product. Products are assessed for environmental and social performance across five critical sustainability categories: material health, material reuse, renewable energy and carbon management, water stewardship, and social fairness.
- Work with your assessor to compile data and documentation for assessment and reporting.
- Receive certification for your product after C2CPII evaluates and approves your Assessment Summary Report.
- Work with the Institute and your marketing teams to let your customers and other stakeholders know about your Cradle to Cradle Product certification.
- You will report your progress every 2 years with re-certification as your product or material evolves.
For more in-depth information on the certification process visit C2CPII’s certification process page.
Work with SRI, a qualified, independent assessment body, to ensure a material or product meets the standard’s requirements to certify a material or product under the Cradle to Cradle Certified Product Standard. SRI has been in business since 1991, and since the inception SRI has been a leader is sustainability and environmental assessments, including life-cycle analysis. With decades of experience, no firm can provide a better assessment than SRI. Contact us today to get started by submitting an SRI Contact Form, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or calling 724-934-9000.
Not quite ready for certification?
Through our affiliate company, 3R Sustainability, Cradle to Cradle and life-cycle analysis experts can help you navigate the Cradle to Cradle Product Standard and prepare you for certification, so you can be confident when the time comes! To contact 3R, email info@3RSustainability.com or call 724-741-9900.