Energy Management System
Organizations, operations, and locations that consume large amounts of energy will benefit from better planning and management of their energy resources. As energy becomes more expensive, and organizations work to maintain costs, an energy management system (EnMS) will benefit those that invest early. Coupled with goals for lower GHG emissions, renewable energy use, and integration with ISO 14001, adopters will also make considerable improvements in sustainability and environmental impact.
ISO 50001 will integrate easily with a business’ other management systems, such as quality (ISO 9001) and environmental (ISO 14001). It utilizes the same Plan-Do-Check-Act model that has made other standards successful.
Benefits of ISO 50001
- Improve the return on investment of energy-consuming assets
- Establish a basis for measuring and managing energy-use and GHG emissions
- Facilitate communications and planning for the improved use of energy resources
- Create a framework for promoting and implementing best practices
- Build a financial model for investing in new, energy efficient, low GHG emitting technologies
- Align energy use with other management system objectives, such as quality, environmental, and financial
- Engage the entire organization in better energy use and lower GHG emissions
- Meet government and industry contractual requirements for efficient use of energy
- Capture competitive advantage in the marketplace
Who can benefit?
The standard itself does not set specific use or compliance goals. It is a process-driven approach that enables organizations to better set their own goals and manage progress and resources. Any business that consumes a large amount of energy can benefit, whether manufacturers, services, buildings, or logistics. Those that can benefit do not need to be ISO certified to another standard. Any large energy consumer can benefit.
What is the next step?
Decide whether ISO 50001 is right for you. If you are already certified to another ISO standard, ISO 50001 can be integrated into your other management system. If you are not certified, there are qualified organizations that can help you build your system. It will typically take nine to 18 months to implement, based on your organization, proficiency in management systems, and available resources. If you have questions, contact SRI and we will help.
Call SRI at 724-934-9000